Carpet vs. Hardwood Flooring: Which is best for your home
Making the decision between fitting carpet or hardwood flooring in your home can be challenging, to say the least, as each material has its own set of benefits and its own drawbacks.
Although we cannot make this decision for you, we can provide you with all the information regarding each flooring option so that you are armed with the right knowledge to make an informed and practical choice for your home.
Walking into a home with carpets is instantly warm and welcoming. When you slip off your shoes, your feet will sink luxuriously into the soft fibres of the carpet without a single sound being heard.
Best for bedrooms and recreational spaces; let’s take a look at the pros and cons for laying carpet in your home.
Pros of carpet:
- They are more affordable, often costing less than half of hardwood flooring
- They come in a variety of patterns and colours
- They can be used in most areas of your home
- They are comfortable to walk on
- They are warmer
- They offer a softer look
Cons of carpet:
- They usually do not last longer than 10 years
- They do not add value to your home
- Stains can be hard to remove
- They require more maintenance
- They can go out of fashion more quickly
- They can trap pollen and dust
Wooden flooring has become increasingly popular in recent years, with homeowners using this material to create an open plan living space that is both functional and stylish. Wooden flooring is extremely versatile and can work with nearly every type of home décor.
Pros of hardwood flooring:
- It can last a lifetime (100 years or more)
- It is easy to clean
- It is more hygienic
- It is better for allergy sufferers
- It can be sanded, refinished, and restored to its natural beauty
- It is a natural rather than synthetic material
- It can increase the value of your home
Cons of hardwood flooring:
- It is more expensive
- It can be cold in the winter
- It is more difficult and costly to install
- It can be noisy to walk on
Are there any other alternatives?
If you are not sure if either carpets or hardwood flooring are the right choice for your home, you should know that there are other options for you to choose from.
This is the best option for those that love wooden flooring but have been put off by the expense. Laminate flooring mimics the look of real wood but does not actually contain any, which is why it is a cheaper option. However, you should make sure that you buy high-quality laminate flooring as poor quality ones will become damaged easily.
Vinyl tiles are made to look like either wooden flooring or stone tiles and are an attractive option if you are looking to save money but still enjoy an authentic look in your home. Often used in bathrooms, kitchens, and utility rooms, vinyl tiles are durable, resilient, and easy to clean.